Here we will post inspiration for decor, design and flooring for your home in Nashville.
Dust. It’s annoying to clean and unattractive on your furniture but, what you may not know, is that dust can also be more harmful to your health than you may have imagined.
Because dust is partly made up of living organisms, there are health risks of dust mites everyone should be aware of. Some people are more sensitive to dust mites than others, but those who are allergic to them can develop life-long health problems ranging from mild to severe.
Dust health risks include: nasal irritations such as sneezing, runny nose, postnasal drip and congestion, sinus problems and inflammation, development and exacerbation of asthma, and skin irritations such as dermatitis and eczema.
The good news is that you can prevent excess dust in your home to reduce or eliminate the health risks it causes.
The best way to eliminate dust in your home is by removing it from all surfaces at least twice a week. You may not realize how quickly dust is building up, so it is best to set a schedule or have a daily routine to be sure you do not forget to dust. It is also very important to make sure all air filters for furnaces, air conditioners and air purifiers are regularly cleaned and replaced, Air purifiers also work to keep dust contained.
It is also important to regularly clean your house using a broom and vacuum. Dust could be living in hard to reach places that only a broom can reach. When cleaning, you must remember those usually forgotten places such as the tops of your ceiling fans or behind open doors. Dust will build up in the places which could lead to health problems.
Dust will always be in your home. But with the proper cleaning care and attention you can significantly decrease your chances for health problems caused by dust; allowing you and your family to live healthier lives.
During January, we want to help you stay healthy! For this blog post, we decided to spotlight a number of locally-owned or not-for-profit businesses that also have your health in mind! Here is the list we came up with and why we think they’re worth a try. If you have others to add to this list, let us know.
- Phat Bites is one of Donelson’s best kept secrets. The owner of this location has created a gourmet menu that boasts delicious salads, deli sandwiches, wraps, soups and much more. It is a funky little place with a very cool vibe. They offer vegetarian options and yummy desserts! Like them on Facebook or visit their website phatbites.com
- Hip Donelson Farmer’s Market is the only place in the area to buy fresh-off-the-farm produce, meats and more. Every Friday, vendors set up shop outside of Fifty Forward in Donelson to sell their goods. The Hip Donelson Farmer’s Market is a great place to buy homegrown, organic food that is healthy for you and your family.
- Stayhealthy Cafe is located inside Donelson Drug Mart. Their chef creates everything from scratch and will even give you samples! Although they’ve only been open for a little while, this place has charm and is a great spot to grab some delicious and healthy grub. Open Mon – Fr 10:30 to 2:30. Like them on Facebook!
- Fifty Forward of Donelson is not just for people 50 or older! Whatever your age, this place has activities that will keep your mind and body active! As a member, you get access to the many events that go on at this venue every week including: Zumba, craft events, songwriting classes, art, theatre, jewelery making and much more. Check out all of the fun ways this Donelson spot keeps you healthy and active on Facebook
- One 2 Yoga is the only Yoga studio in 37214. They know yoga and offer a variety of classes no matter your Yoga level! They’re conveniently located on Donelson Pike beside JVI Secret Garden. Read more on their website.
- Curves is a national company but each is locally owned and operated. Our local Curves offers a number of great classes and nutrition programs to help you lose weight, understand nutrition and keep you healthy. They offer affordable membership plans that even include coaching!
Health & Wellness:
- Batson Chiropractic offers a variety of therapies, not just curing back pain! This local wellness center works to keep their patients get healthy by using state-of-the-art chiropractic treatment for ADHD, Asthma, head aches and even ear infections. Visit their website to see the many ways they can help you get and stay well. And did you know their, our neighbors?
- Donelson Eye Care provides the best in eye health in the area. Whether you need glasses, suffer from Dry Eyes or are seeking any other eye treatment, Donelson Eye Care offers the best! Their commitment to customer service is unreal – they’re all so darn nice! Go SEE them online at www.DonelsonEyeCare.com.
1. Take Your Rugs Outside.
While regular vacuuming is a must, it is essential to deep clean your rugs once a year. To really ensure that your rugs are clean, take them outside and beat them just like your Grandmother used to do! After a thorough beating, use a vibrating tool to shake loose any remaining set-in dust.
2. Remove Dyer Lint.
This not only keeps your house clean, it will also reduce the risk of a dryer fire. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, dryer fires account for nearly 3,000 home fires a year and result in $35 million dollars of property loss each year. To remove lint deep inside your dyer, use a deep suctioning vacuum. Consumer Reports also recommends the Lint Lizard for the hard to reach places
This New Year, we here at Buddy Allen Carpet One have made a resolution. Our resolution is very, very similar to yours. What is it? We’re resolving to help give you a healthy home from the floor up!
How are we going to do it?
Throughout the month of January, we are going to be sharing the best cleaning tips and tricks to keep your home and family healthy. To make sure that you receive all of these tips, you must do 3 simple things: like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest and subscribe to our email newsletter!
Tonight, across the globe, we will say Goodbye! To 2012 and ring in 2013 in style! A new year brings with it a lot of things: resolutions, goals and milestones. This year, people everywhere will get married, have a baby, start a new job or open a business. But 2013 means something even more to us. 2013 is Buddy Allen Carpet One’s 50th Birthday! This year marks the 50th year that Buddy Allen Carpet One Flooring & Home has been open for business. We have been located in Donelson for every one of those years!
‘Twas the night before Christmas and all through the store,
Zack Allen was dreaming of installing new floors.
His chair was leaned back, and his mouth opened wide,
His eyes shut tight, and his head drooped to the side.
While Donelson peeps were sleeping sound in their beds,
Hardwood, carpet, and laminate were all that filled Zack’s head.
Ellen had hung stockings in the lobby with care,
And everyone hoped that Santa would soon be there.
The Holidays bring friends and family pouring into your home. You love the company but you don’t love the havoc they can wreak on your flooring. You’ve got enough to stress about so let us share with you the 5 things you should have on hand to keep your floors sparkling this Christmas.
1. Festive Rugs. These lovely little mats can double as both décor and a floor saver. Placing rugs outside your entryway will prevent dust and dirt from being tracked inside your home.
2. Cleaning Supplies. Spills happen- especially when your home is filled with guests. Keep cleaning supplies like white clothes and mild non-bleaching detergent to quickly blot up spills from red wine, chocolate and more.
We consider ourselves experts at two things: flooring and Christmas. From family traditions and decorations to homemade presents and treats, consider Buddy Allen Carpet One your source for the best DIY Christmas ideas.
1. Mod Podge Ornaments- Mod Podge is perfect for making ornaments out of your favorite fabric scraps, family photos or sheet music.
2. Christmas Wreath- We don’t know who first thought of using a pool noodle to make a wreath, but they must be brilliant. This adorable wreath can be yours with a pool noodle, fabric, ornaments and some hot glue!
Thanksgiving has officially come and gone. By now you’ve started shopping and may have even pulled out the tree. Before you deck the halls, take a few moments and use our Christmas decorating tips to make sure that your home is protected from unwanted décor leftovers.